In a recent survey conducted by KRC Research/Weber Shandwick, adults and teenagers clearly worry about sexual assault and believe Texas should take the issue more seriously. (Texas Association Against Sexual Assault Survey)
One out of every six American women have been the victims of an attempted or completed rape in their lifetime. [Source: Prevalence, Incidence and Consequences of Violence Against Women Survey, National Institute of Justice and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1998.]
Nine out of every ten rape victims were female. [Source: 2000 National Crime Victimization Survey]
FACTS ABOUT SEXUAL ASSAULT
- An American is sexually assaulted every two minutes.
- Sexual assault is down by half since 1993, yet there were still 248,000 sexual assaults in 2001.
- About 44% of rape victims are under age 18; about 15% are under age 12.
- One in six American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape.
- About 10% of sexual assault victims are men.
- About 2/3 of sexual assaults are committed by someone who is known to the victim.
- Less than 39% of sexual assaults are reported to law enforcement.[Source: Rape Abuse & Incest National Network]